The Residences at Hotel Georgia

Hotel Georgia 2

The venerable Hotel Georgia has had been almost totally rebuilt, and has now reopened and gaining rave reviews for its new restaurant. The parking garage has gone, replaced with a tall, blue condo 48 storey tower over an office base designed by IBI/HB. Given how tiny the site was, this is undoubtedly the highest density building so far built in the city.

Before images 2009; after images 2013

Hotel Georgia 1

Advertisements

Wall Centre False Creek

Wall Centre FC

Wall Centre False Creek is a half block behind the Village on False Creek (the former Olympic Village). It now has 558 apartments, pretty much completed with the first new owners moving in. GBL Architects designed four towers, each with slightly different details, with coloured panels to distinguish each block. In the centre of the block there’s a mid block mini-park and a theatre with a gorgeous crinkled glazed wall. The future operators are currently unclear, but it’s good to see South East False Creek have culture as well as retail and bars.

Before image 2011; after image 2013

994 Granville Street

994 Granville

As the company’s website notes “In the fall of 1947 Stephen Kripps, newly married, just graduated from the University of Saskatchewan Pharmacy program, and recently arrived in Vancouver, purchased the Owl Drug Store pharmacy at 994 Granville Street – a location that 60 years later has become a defacto ‘heritage site’. At the time, there were many neighborhood drugstores, for example at Davie and Granville and Smythe and Granville, but only Kripps Pharmacy survived the transition to the 21st century”.

Only just though – Kripps moved to West Broadway in 2007 and the building was redeveloped, but with another modest retail project designed by W T Leung that keeps the southern end of the Granville strip supplied with double-doubles and self-grilled food.

Before image 2004; after image 2013

McLaren House

1249 Howe 1

Just completed at 1249 Howe Street, McLaren House is another of the 14 projects funded by BC Housing on land owned by the City of Vancouver to create non-market housing for the homeless and hard-to-house. This one is designed by gBL Architects, and will be operated by the McLaren Housing Society with 110 suites, including three townhouses.

It replaced the Odyssey nightclub, which despite having been closed since 2010 is still featured on ‘Time Out, Vancouver’ with the description “The Odyssey attracts all ages but is best known for its lithe youths bussed in from campus and their attendant chicken hawks.”

before images 2010; after images 2013

1249 Howe 2

Marguerite Ford Apartments

Marguerite Ford Apartments

Another non-market housing project, this one in South East False Creek, the Marguerite Ford Apartments have recently been completed on West 2nd Avenue. As with twelve other projects, (with one more to come) this building was on city-owned land and construction was paid for by the housing arm of the Provincial Governmnet, BC Housing.

The building, designed by DYS Architects, is named in honour of Marguerite Ford whose long history of community service includes a decade as Vancouver City Councillor and many years on the Sanford Housing Society board of directors. 

The previous commercial buildings, built in 1930 and 1955, ended up as the home of Party Bazaar, a party rental company. The two-storey building was once the 1930s home of Western Oil & Supply, and by the 1950s was part of the premises of the Hayes Manufacturing Co, later Hayes-Anderson, a truck manufacturer who occupied most of the block.

Before image 2011; after image 2013