The Pennsylvania on East Hastings at Carrall Street started life as the Woods Hotel in 1906, designed by W T Whiteway. Later it became the Pennsylvania, the Lone Star, and then the Portland. In the 1990s it had become a sorry shadow of it’s former impressive self; the witches hat roof gone and the metal panels below the windows rusting. Provincial funding allowed the Portland Hotel Society to reopen the 44 non-market rooms with a new restaurant and commercial bakery on the main floor. The restoration was designed by Paul Merrick Architects and completed at the end of 2008. The City of Vancouver helped fund the creation of the replacement neon sign.
Before photo 2002; after photo 2009