The Flack Block was first built in 1889 with goldrush money and designed by William Blackmore. It used to sit across from the courthouse; now that site is the park called Victory Square. Acton Ostrey’s 2008 refurbishment for the Salient Group adds an almost invisible extra floor, seismic upgrades, and reintroduces a beautifully carved replica of the long-lost original doorway. It features a great coffee spot on Hastings, and superb sandwiches on Cambie Street.
Before image 2005; after image 2009
King Edward Village is a project with nearly 400 condos on a prominent triangular site where two major city streets meet. Once upon a time there was a Safeway store, but that was closed and the building was last used as a flea market. The new buildings include a replacement food store (although not Safeway, who initially had a covenant preventing any other food store to open on the site). There’s also a new library and some unusual public art in and on the the building.
Before image 2001l after image 2009